Saturday, January 4, 2014

Snap-Craptastic Music While Lifting

So I'm at the gym - the "fitness center" - whatever you want to call it, trying to break my muscles down to build them up stronger, and playing over the speakers was this little number:



I turned to the only other guy lifting weights, much more pumped up than me and without earbuds, and said "It's hard to get pumped up with this whiny music."

He didn't say anything in response - he might've been part franchise owner, I don't know - I said it to him right after I heard him whistling the whiny song. I don't think he appreciated the comment. Oh well, to each their own.

A previous time I overheard someone who worked there talking about how people cleaning up after themselves was a problem, and management from time to time would kick people out of the club. He went on to talk about how grunting was an issue, and that they preferred to play easy listening music because they were trying to run a business and didn't want anyone feeling uncomfortable. In other words, they cater to women and old people, so any displays of aggression or testosterone were generally frowned upon. No vulgarity either.

Now, I'm not one of these guys that bellows a primal scream to squeeze out one more rep. But a little grunting and heavy breathing is mandatory. You're just not pushing yourself hard enough if you don't. I understand the desire to tone down the "musclehead" stereotype if you're trying to run a business, if you're trying to cast as wide a net as possible in attracting clients, so that people feel comfortable in the space and not intimidated.

But for Christ's sake could you at least have the radio tuned into a classic rock station in the weight lifting area? Not this whiny crap? "Say something I'm giving up on you?" I don't expect death metal, which would be my preference, as others don't expect equally crappy rap music. But could we at least hear music similar to what is played at a sports event to pump people up, rather than music that makes you want to slit your wrists?

I work out for about 30 to 45 minutes every other day, or four days a week - upper body one day, lower body the next. In that short amount of time, listening to the snap-craptastic music, I've heard the same songs over and over again. Like E!'s "The Soup" is my only exposure to popular television, my time in the gym is my only exposure to popular music, and I already know the songs by heart. I don't know how women can listen to the same crap over and over and over again, with the additional bonus being all the songs sounding the same! Whiny, estrogen-laden crap.

I know I could wear earbuds and listen to what I want to listen to, but they just get in the way and I'm always fiddling with them and adjusting them. I want to show up, hit the weights hard, burn out, and get out of there as fast as I can.

Palate cleanser:

1 comment:

  1. Man, my ears are bleeding with that crap. I had to play some Five Finger Death Punch just to apply the proper cure to that. Who the hell could even TRY to lift to that? Is listening to this Beta (while doing.....anything)? The sad fact that the "pumped up dude" was whistling this while lifting is a sad statement. I wonder if he likes show tunes too.

    Good you linked to some good shit for the proper cleanse. I had to pop the metal pill after 1 minute of listening to that mess at the top of the article.

    Jesus.

    ReplyDelete